AES, the Virginia-based private energy company that owns the aging power plant on Harbor Drive, plans to submit its application in September to repower , project manager Jennifer Didlo of AES Southland told the Daily Breeze.
The company had previously indicated that it planned to file its application to repower by June of 2012, then changed it to mid-August. Didlo told the Breeze that AES decided to file its application later after filing the plan to rebuild AES Huntington Beach.
AES must either rebuild its Redondo Beach power plant, retrofit it or apply for an exemption to new state once-through cooling regulations by 2020. Once-through cooling plants use ocean water to cool the superheated steam that spins the turbines to produce electricity. The water is then pumped back into the ocean.
AES has indicated that it plans to demolish the existing power plant and build a new, smaller on in its place; however, the company's plans have been met with staunch opposition from residents. While AES claims the new power plant would run "cleaner" more efficiently and provide much-needed flexibility to the power grid, opponents contend that it will run more often and emit more pollutants, as well as depress property values.
Members of the No Power Plant and Building a Better Redondo groups are currently circulating a petition to put an anti-power plant initiative on the March ballot. The initiative, which was co-authored by power plant opponent Councilman Bill Brand, whose Second District includes the AES property, calls for rezoning the property at 1100 N. Harbor Drive to allow up to 40 percent of the property to be used for a mix of commercial and institutional use. The remaining 60 percent would be zoned parkland with power generation deemed an incompatible use.
- Full story: AES to Submit Redondo Beach Power Plant Application by End of September [Daily Breeze]