It's summer, which means that it's the perfect time for ice cream, gelato and frozen yogurt. Fortunately, the South Bay has plenty of options when it comes to all three. Whether you're looking for some prebiotic gelato something more along the lines of an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, we've got the—pardon the pun—scoop.
Some see gelato as a healthier alternative to ice cream because it has less butterfat than its cousin. Redondo Beach gelato shop 22 Degrees takes this concept a step further with its prebiotic product. On the other hand, Paciugo Gelato Caffe, while emphasizing that its gelato is made with milk, not cream, offers an ever-changing mix of flavors, including Mediterranean Sea Salt Caramel and Vanilla Lavender Chocolate Chip.
Where to find gelato:
- , 1820 S. Catalina Ave., Redondo Beach
- , 1034 Hermosa Ave., Hermosa Beach
- , 3200 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Manhattan Beach
People also see frozen yogurt as a healthier alternative to ice cream, as it's made with milk and contains active yogurt cultures. The South Bay offers both classic "froyo" places like Yummy Yogurt and Penguin's and newer chains like Pinkberry and Yogurtland.
Where to find frozen yogurt:
- , 308 Manhattan Beach Blvd., Manhattan Beach
- , 2515 Artesia Blvd., Redondo Beach
- , 800 S. Pacific Coast Hwy., Redondo Beach
- , 900 Pacific Coast Hwy., Hermosa Beach
- , 1100 Pacific Coast Hwy., Ste 6, Hermosa Beach
- , 271 Avenida Del Norte, Redondo Beach
- Yummy Yogurt, 5314 Drybank Drive, Rolling Hills Estates
Ice cream is the perfect treat for a hot day: it's cold, creamy and comes in tons of different flavors. Some places, like Cold Stone Creamery (there are at least two in the South Bay), even let you choose a basic flavor and "mix in" different goodies like M&Ms, cookie dough, marshmallows, fudge or whatever else your heart desires. Whether you're heading to Handel's, Manhattan Beach Creamery, Baskin-Robbins or Kelly's Korner, you're sure to find something to suit your taste buds.
Where to find ice cream:
- , 925 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Manhattan Beach
- , 29121 S. Western Ave., Rancho Palos Verdes
- Baskin-Robbins, 21 Peninsula Center #D, Rolling Hills Estates
- , 4051 Inglewood Ave., Redondo Beach
- , 320 Avenue I, Redondo Beach
- , 451 Manhattan Beach Blvd., Manhattan Beach
- Cold Stone Creamery, 550 Deep Valley Drive, Rolling Hills Estates
- , 1882 S. Pacific Coast Hwy., Redondo Beach
- Kelly's Korner, 26947 Rolling Hills Road, Rolling Hills Estates
- , 1120 Manhattan Ave., Manhattan Beach