A fire in a two-story townhome complex Tuesday afternoon near the corner of Prospect Avenue and Beryl Street in South Redondo Beach caused about $10,000 worth of damage, according to the Redondo Beach Fire Department.
Plumbers "sweating" copper pipes with a torch in one of the units accidentally started the fire at about 2:30 p.m., according to Division Chief Paul Rappaport. Though they tried to extinguish the fire, it went into the wall and spread to the townhomes' attic.
The 24 firefighters dispatched to the scene had the blaze under control within 20 minutes, Rappaport said.
One person was treated at the scene for a burn on his hand, then transported to a nearby hospital, Rappaport said.
People in two units were displaced due to fire damage, he said. He did not know when they would be able to return home.