It's been a crazy year. Redondo Beach Patch writers were busy writing about homicides, television episodes and dancing firefighters, among other topics. Here is the No. 4 story of the year, chosen by popularity and editorial discretion.
Terie Colecchi Dies After Being Beaten Outside Pats II Cocktails (No. 4)
After seeing no homicides in 2011 and only one in 2010, Redondo Beach police investigated four homicides in 2012.
The first three—the shooting of Peggy Duffy and the slaying of Vicki Bergman and her daughter, Courtney—took place in February. The fourth—the beating of Pats II Cocktails bouncer Terie Colecchi—occurred at the beginning of June.
In July, Francisco "Frank" Cobarruvias Jr., 35, of Redondo Beach, and Rene Anthony Avina, 23, of Carson, were ordered to be tried on murder charges related to Colecchi's death.
Cobarruvias and Avina are accused of attacking Colecchi, 49, just before closing time outside Pats II Cocktails on June 2. Colecchi died from his injuries.
Prior to arresting Avina, police arrested and released his uncle, Alejandro Avina, on murder charges.
Cobarruvias and Alejandro Avina are related, according to Redondo Beach police Sgt. Shawn Freeman.
Cobarruvias is being held without bail at the Men's Central Jail in Los Angeles, while Rene Avina is being held without bail at the North County Correctional Facility in Castaic. Their next court appearance will be Jan. 31, 2013 at the Torrance Courthouse.
- Bouncer Dies After Bar Fight
- 2nd Suspect Sought in Fatal Bar Fight
- Coroner IDs Slain Bouncer; Suspect Released
- Suspect in Fatal Bar Fight Surrenders
- Suspect Charged in Fatal Bar Fight
- Arrest Warrant Issued for Suspect in Fatal Bar Fight
- New Suspect in Fatal Bar Fight Surrenders
- Bar Fight Suspect's Hearing Postponed
- Men Plead Not Guilty in Fatal Bar Fight
- Suspects in Fatal Bar Fight Ordered to Stand Trial
To view this year's other top stories, click here.