It's been a crazy year. Redondo Beach Patch writers were busy writing about homicides, television episodes and dancing firefighters, among other topics. Here is the No. 6 story of the year, chosen by popularity and editorial discretion.
Jonathan Chacon Arrested in Connection With Slayings of Vicki, Courtney Bergman (No. 6)
A gruesome double homicide at the end of February shocked a quiet neighborhood in North Redondo Beach. Vicki Bergman and her daughter Courtney were found slain in their home.
Courtney Bergman's on-again, off-again boyfriend, Jonathan Chacon, has been charged with capital murder with special circumstances in connection with the deaths. The special circumstance allegations—multiple murders and use of a knife—mean Chacon is eligible for the death penalty if convicted. It is not clear whether prosecutors are seeking a death sentence.
Before his arrest Feb. 29, Cacon fled to Mexico; however, he was taken into custody within hours and returned to the U.S. without delay.
Chacon's next court date is scheduled for Feb. 3. He's currently being held without bail in the Men's Central Jail in Los Angeles.
At various memorial services, friends remembered the close relationship between Vicki Bergman and her daughter.
- Police Seek 'Person of Interest' in Double Homicide
- Photos: Friends Mourn Slain Women
- Police: Accused Killer Found in Mexico
- Reports: Slaying Suspect Was Drug User
- Chacon Charged With Capital Murder
- Bergman Friends Set Up Memorial Fund
- Memorials Set to Honor Bergmans
- Photos: 'Celebration of Life' for Bergmans
- Memorial Scheduled for Bergmans
- Murder Suspect's Arraignment Tuesday
- Chacon Pleads Not Guilty to Homicides
To view this year's other top stories, click here.