Residents who live near the substation at the corner of Prospect and Knob Hill avenues claim that stray electrical voltage emanating from the substation is responsible for a myriad of health problems, including gastrointestinal issues and nerve damage.
One resident, Simone Wilson, won a $4 million judgment against Southern California Edison, which owns the substation, earlier this year. Wilson said she suffered low-voltage electrocution from her electrically charged shower head.
Wednesday's auction was stopped after Tom Stolpman—who represents the Contreras family, which formerly owned the home at 806 S. Prospect Ave.—told prospective buyers about the stray voltage, CBS Los Angeles reported.
"We feel that no one should buy that house thinking that it's safe to live in when we believe it's inherently unsafe and dangerous," Stolpman told the television station.
Mary Contreras, who claims her daughter's gastrointestinal problems and partially paralyzed esophagus are the result of stray voltage and electromagnetic fields from the substation, previously filed a lawsuit against SCE.
That lawsuit and others involving the Topaz Substation are still pending.
- Full story: Home's Auction Shut Down Over Stray Voltage Concerns in Redondo Beach Neighborhood [CBS Los Angeles]