People decide to do yoga teacher training for all sorts of reasons. Some do it to strengthen their own practice, and some intend to teach yoga. Whatever the intention is, the journey involves a huge commitment from the student and the teachers. A lot of time, energy, love, blood, sweat and tears go into the 200 hours of training.
When I signed up with Mukti Yoga School in January of this year, I knew I was looking for a life-changing experience as well as the education and training to strengthen my own practice with hopes of maybe one day teaching yoga. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I learned about myself through the process on top of the amazing yoga education I received.
Here is a list of 10 things I learned through my yoga teacher-training journey:
1. Never underestimate the power of an awesome playlist to get the room to flow. Thank you, Jamie Horgan!
2. You don’t have to be able to do tittibhasana or handstands to be a great yoga teacher.
3. Fear is often your own worst enemy, on and off the mat.
4. Living in the present moment is just as important when at the office as it is when attempting a difficult arm balance.
6. Yoga is an amazing ancient practice with significant ties to the divine, but sometimes you just can’t take it too seriously.
7. It is a beautiful gift to be in tune with your body. Your body will tell you exactly what it wants and what it doesn’t; the key is learning to listen.
9. It is often necessary to evaluate our lives and remove whatever no longer serving our best interests. When we remove these toxic energies, we create space and opportunities for new experiences. Use yoga and meditation to assist with cleansing the body regularly.
10. Share the love and peace yoga brings to your life with others in everyway possible. You don’t always need someone to come to your yoga class for you to impact their lives; sometimes a simple smile at a stranger will do the trick.
I am so grateful for the energy and time all my teachers and peers put into my training. I feel blessed to join a fabulous community of inspiring people. Both my Mukti teacher trainers Chelsea and Jamie are presenting at the South Bay Yoga Conference this August. I am looking forward to their workshops as well as all the other fantastic teachers presenting. The South Bay is blessed with such an amazing yoga scene!
Peace and Love,